Before I started my own business, I had never “sold” a thing. Unless you’re involved in selling, you don’t appreciate how difficult it can be. My early struggles with selling certainly heightened my respect for salespeople.
It also gave me a deeper insight into the different types of business people around. There are:
- those who are keen to help you, the givers – sadly, only about 25% of the business population in my experience
- others who are keen to use you but have no intention of giving back – also around 25%
- and others who will accept your help but will not think to return the favour – the remaining 50%
As a natural giver, I found that difficult to handle at first. Then I learned how to deal with each type. So here is my advice:
- Seek out the givers. Your life will be richer as a result. As you give to them, they will give back.
- Avoid those who have no intention of helping you. They will sap your energy and your strength.
- For those who just don’t think about giving, if you want something from them, you have to ASK for it.
If this sounds familiar and you would like to discuss further, please email me.
< Back to Insights